Sunday, June 19, 2016

You're A Beautiful Mess







"I'm a mess, but I'm a beautiful mess. I'm his masterpiece, and that's enough." -Mom's Night Out

So often we get caught up in the hustle and bustle and we forget the purpose of it all. I'm at fault, just as much as anyone else. I'll think that I'm not doing enough. That because I'm not "busy" all the time that I must not be doing anything important. That because I'm in college I'm in some kind of stand still. I live in a society that tells me that I need to be active on social media so that I get the likes and the follows and the comments. That I need to post the best photos, tweet the best quotes, and have a hilarious snapchat story in order to be successful. Society tells me that I should be skinny and tan and have new clothes all the time. Society tells me that I need a huge "squad" of best friends for all my many adventures. Society tells me I need a boyfriend to go to events with and post cutesy Instagram photos of. Society tells me that I am not enough, being who I am, but I know that they're wrong.

Tonight I re-watched Mom's Night Out for probably the tenth time, mainly so that I could see the blog post at the end. The main character, Allison writes this amazing post about the false realities that we think that we need to be happy. We think that if this one thing just changed, if our life was different, then we would finally be happy. When the truth is, God has us exactly where he needs us, and he has blessed us with all the right tools to live our best life right now. I have to hear this message often, because it resonates so deeply with my heart. In a world that tells me that I am not good enough, I know that I am his imperfect masterpiece.

How we live our life is all in our attitude- our heart. We can choose to be discontent or we can choose to be content. Sure, new clothes, international vacations, and huge parties are fun, but I love to find joy in the everyday little things of life. Like for example, the other day in Starbucks, the older woman in front of me paid for my coffee. It was a simple gesture, but I was so touched. It put a smile on my face and a warmth in my heart. That kindness was what got me through that whole day. Just because a stranger had been kind to me. We all need that in our lives. That's why, everyday, I work hard to choose to be like that stranger. To be kind, honest, compassionate, forgiving, generous, and diligent. I'm not perfect- I make mistakes- we all do. I keep getting up, trying again, learning from my mess-ups, and smiling all the while.

Wherever you're at right now- remember that you are exactly where you need to be. Stop wishing for tomorrow or for more money or more friends or more fame. When you find your happiness right where you are- that is the best kind.

xoxo, em

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love this post, Em. So, so true. I've never seen Mom's Night Out, but I think I just might have to watch it soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em,
    My name is Glitzy Girl from my new blog glitzymevida.com. I recently came across your blog... your blog title is great! ( are you hispanic or Mexican?) Anyways, I would appreciate it, from one blogger to another, if you would come for a visit.
    Thanks so much!
    Glitzy Girl

    ReplyDelete