Saturday, March 26, 2016

What You Do Matters

 
 
"Now is the time for all of us to become the people we have always dreamed of being. This is your world. You're here. You matter. The world is waiting." -Haley James Scott
 
The other night I watched the series finale of One Tree Hill with great nostalgia. I started watching it a few months back, and although I did spend way too much of my winter break watching OTH, the series now holds a special place in my heart. I imagine I'll watch it one or two more times through before the end of the year. As a freshman in college, I connected with a lot of the story lines on OTH, particularly Hayley. This quote especially struck my heart the other night. What we do matters.
 
Right now I'm at a place in life where it's easy to feel like it doesn't matter. To feel like I'm just trying to get to my destination (college graduation), and to just go through the motions some days. It's easy to feel like I'm not at a place where I can do a lot with my life, because I spend my days in class, doing homework, or working. But then this week I was reminded that what we do and how we do it MATTERS. It's the little things that sometimes speak the loudest. I was reminded of that when a very sweet bus driver genuinely asked me how I was doing. I was reminded of that, when at the end of a long week, a guy stepped out of his way to hold the door for me. I was reminded of that when I saw several inspirational Instagram posts this week. I was reminded of that when one of my besties sent me a really encouraging text before my big Spanish midterm.
 
What you do matters. Our daily interactions with people, the impressions we leave, the kindness and love we put out- it all matters.
 
I may be in a place in life where I feel like I can't make a big difference because I'm a college student. However, not for one minute do I want to just go through the motions. So today I'm reminding myself that what I do right now matters.
 
xoxo, em
 

No comments:

Post a Comment