Friday, March 18, 2016

The Truth About Long Distance Friendships


 
Distance means so little, when someone means so much.
 
My two best friends live exactly 619 miles away, in Franklin, TN. That's about a 9 hour and 11 minute drive, in decent traffic. I've been doing this long distance bestie thing for about four years now, so I feel pretty used to it. We've made it work on an incredible level, and we're probably closer now than we were when we lived in the same town. It takes a really special friendship to work long distance, but we've made it work. I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that it sucked though. It's one of the most difficult things in the world. To know that your two best friends are going about their lives without you. That you're separated by several states. When my besties are having a bad day, I'd give anything to show up on their doorstep with a pint of Ben & Jerry's, a good rom-com, and a shoulder to cry on. When they have an embarrassing moment, I want to be there to laugh with them (and take a picture like any good friend would do). When they have something to celebrate, I want to be there to take them out to dinner and brag about them to anyone in listening distance. All of those things change though with distance.
Last weekend I flew down to visit them for the first time in what felt like forever. It was like no time had passed at all. We immediately fell into old habits- laughing, talking a mile a minute, drinking obscene amounts of coffee, and singing along to all of our favorite songs. I could barely stop smiling the whole time I was there, and this quote came to my mind: "Distance means to little, when someone means so much". Those words ring so true for me. Bottom line, I hate being apart from those two, because they are some of the most important people in my life. When I'm having a good day or a bad day... when I want to celebrate or cry or rant or laugh, they are the first people that come to mind, because they are like another half of me. At the end of the day, that is why long distance friendship is always worth it to me. Because it makes every moment together a little sweeter. Because it means I always have someone to Facetime and snapchat and text about my crazy days. Because no matter how many tears and heartache the distance brings, they are worth it, because they are my best friends. Actually, they are more than that. They are my sisters. They are the people I would do anything for. They are the girls that continually blow me away with the goodness in their hearts, and the kindness in their souls. They are Brie and Tiana, and everyday I feel blessed to call them my best friends.
 
Here's to you two. May you always know how special you are.
 
with love, em

No comments:

Post a Comment