Friday, February 12, 2016

Thankful for Little Brothers



Everyday I try to find something new to be thankful for. Yesterday it was sunsets. The day before that it was kind bus drivers. Today, it's my little brother. He'll always be near the top of my list, because he's truly such a special part of my life.

Sam's special to me in so many ways. He can be the single most annoying person I know, and one of the only people that can make me raise my voice, but he can also be the most thoughtful, sweet, loveable brother. He knows how to keep the balance!

Last weekend I sat by and proudly watched as Sam crossed the bridge from cub scouts to boy scouts. Without even realizing it, he has grown up! At eleven years old, he wears a bigger shoe size than me, and will probably pass me in height in the next two years. He's a dedicated (and pretty talented!) baseball player, and can swim a fierce breast stroke. He's a natural born runner, and I've been telling him for years that he absolutely must go out for track in middle school. He still loves spending time with me, and I'm thankful for that. There's never enough hours in the day, and never enough free time for me to spend with him, but when I do get the chance, I make sure to appreciate it. We usually shoot hoops, watch I Love Lucy, take Daisy to the walking trails, or play video games.
I'm thankful for a little brother, because thanks to him I'm completely used to people jumping around corners and trying to scare him. Thanks to Sam I hardly ever jump anymore, even when he crawls out from under my bed, or hides in my closet. It's a daily occurrence around here.
I'm thankful for a little brother, because if he hadn't been born, I probably wouldn't know anything about cars, video games, or sports. Thanks to him, I finally understand football, love basketball and baseball, can identify cars about 100x better than I used to, and can win almost any video game that's thrown my way.

At the end of the day, Sam drives me crazy sometimes, but he's also the person that makes me laugh the most, and reminds me to never lose my inner child. I love him to pieces, and will forever be the fiercely protective big sister. I'll always feel like I'm part sister/part mother/part friend with him, and I'm thankful to have him in my life.

Today I'm thankful for little brothers everywhere, and the many (although a bit crazy) blessings that they bring to our lives.

con amor, emalee

1 comment:

  1. Little brothers ROCK! I have 2 - 10 and 13 years old. They are a hoot. And obnoxious and annoying. But I gotta love them!

    xoxo,
    ~Michlyn

    ReplyDelete