Sunday, February 7, 2016

Health Update + BTS of Instagram Pictures!

This picture always serves as a reminder to me, that a picture is just a picture, and it doesn't always tell the real story. Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite pictures of myself from 2015. I felt beautiful and I look happy. What you don't though, is that I was seriously sick with pneumonia when I took this picture. This was the first time I'd put on makeup in a week. I had just gotten back from the doctors office where they found out that my left lung was closed off, and I was fighting to breathe. A good dose of meds had me feeling better than I had in weeks, so I snapped a picture when I got home. I remember I was sitting by a window when I took this, and I looked out wishfully to the sunshine, and felt a little sad for all I was missing. After I took this photo I crawled back into bed and most likely slept for the next twelve hours. I was down for the whole summer with pneumonia, but surprisingly not that many people ever even knew I was sick. I didn't post much about it on social media, and this picture always reminds me of that time. It's a powerful lesson to remember that a picture is just a picture. You don't know what that person is feeling, or what they're going through. So before you get jealous or annoyed or judgmental, remember that there is so much more to a picture than just what you see.

On a totally different note, I'm going to give a little update on my health & fitness journey! I've been gluten and dairy free for over a month now, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made! I've always been allergic to both of those foods and I don't think even my friends know how sick they make me. I hid it well for years, because quite frankly I was stupid, I liked the food too much, and I didn't want to be different from everyone else. My health took a serious blow last year though, and I promised myself going into this year, that I would work my butt off to make this a better year. I am feeling much better, but I still deal with problems sometimes. Just in the last few days I've realized peanuts are another food I don't tolerate well, so I'm kicking them to the curb this week. I don't eat a lot of peanut butter or peanuts anyway, but I'm going to have to read labels a bit more carefully.
Last weekend I hit my eleven pound weight loss mark, which felt amazing. I let the stress and chaos of the week get to me though, and I know I've lost some of that progress. Tomorrow I'll be hitting my workout hard, and really buckle down on my nutrition. This week's focus is more water, more vegetables, less carbs, and harder workouts. I've been doing a lot of two-a-day workouts, which is kind of insane with my schedule, but I need it. It's hard for some people to understand, but working out is how I keep my sanity. I absolutely love working out, and my whole day goes better when I do.
I'm committing to posting everyday on Instagram this week, to really track my workouts and meals. You can follow me @em_tonedup!

Here's to a wonderful week filled with hard work, dedication, and a little chaos!

xoxo, em

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Em. You're right - a picture is just what's on the surface. People can't see what's going on inside or behind the scenes unless they really know you.

    Wow two-a-day workouts?! That's awesome! I was actually just going to look into those this week and see what I can accomplish before the weekend is here. You're making fantastic progress!

    xoxo,
    ~Michlyn

    ReplyDelete