Monday, September 14, 2015

God's Grace & My Social Life

 

 

 
 


 


 
 
In high school I was the shy girl. The outsider, always standing at the edge of the room. I am an introvert, and my middle school and high school years were such a struggle for me. I watched six of my best friends move away over the years, and I spent many Friday nights with tears streaming down my face as I prayed to God in my loneliness.
 
College is like a different world. I am nothing like the person I was even just one year ago. I know I seem to link everything back to Costa Rica these days, but I can truly say that my time spent there this past summer, was a turning point for me. I grew so much as a person, and I embraced life with open arms. As difficult as it has been, I have chosen to push past the fears, the insecurities, and just go for it. I've had more of a social life in the past month than I think I did in all four years of high school!
 
My advice to you when it comes to college is to just go for it! Life will be crazy, and you will literally have the opportunity to do something all the time. You do have to pick and choose, but don't be afraid to live life! I help cook college breakfast at my church, I go to Sunday school, bible studies, freshman events, etc. I've went to football games, baseball games, went to coffee, hosted a bonfire night, and stayed up until 12:30 talking with friends over cold pizza. I've laughed and smiled more than I have in a long time. There is truly nothing greater than authentic, beautiful friendship.
 
A few nights ago I had a bunch of friends over for a bonfire and s'mores. One of my incredibly talented friends pulled out his guitar and we all started worshipping God right there. As I lifted my eyes to the stars I could hear God talking to me. I knew exactly what he was thinking. My Child, those years of loneliness and hurting, brought you exactly to where you are now. I taught you to rely on me and to shine your light. These years will bless you.
 
Friendship is one of God's greatest blessings, and when you find it, hold onto it.
 
xoxo, em

4 comments:

  1. Em, this is so exciting! words of wisdom, and I'm so excited to see what God will continue to do through you in this crazily awesome new stage of life!!! I love hearing different people's opinions on college, and after hearing yours I'll have you know that I'm even more pumped then I was before ^_^

    Chloe | It's A Chloe Thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so amazing, Em!!! As someone who is still the shy girl in high school, this is SUCH an encouraging post. I'm so happy for you that you've found such a great group of friends, and your last sentence is so true- "Friendship is one of God's greatest blessings, and when you find it, hold onto it." I love that :)

    xoxo
    Grace Anne // http://totallygraced.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much. I was always the shy/quiet girl in high school unless I was around close friends. I was worried that I would have a harder time making friends since I'm from out of state. I'm so glad that I found a solid group of Christian friends here, including you Emalee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this so much! This blog is EPIC! You got yourself another follower! ♥ ♫

    http://onethousandwordsatatime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete