Friday, August 7, 2015

An Open Letter To My Big Sister


 
*11 years ago my big sister, Olivia, and I started celebrating what we dubbed "Sister Day" each August. In honor of it this year, I decided to write an open letter to my big sister, and tell her all the things I always forget to say.
 
 
Dear Liv,
 
Here we are, celebrating our 11th Sister Day, and I'm wondering where the time has gone. Do you remember our first Sister Day? I was seven and you were ten. It was our first summer in our new house and Mom was eight months pregnant with Samuel. I remember having a water balloon fight and watching a movie. Now here we are, eighteen and twenty one, and we're maturely celebrating with a yoga class and manicures. Today I wanted to tell you all the things I always forget to say to you. I don't think I always express just how much you mean to me. You're my one and only sister, and let's face it, we have a pretty dang tight bond.
 
You have always been there for me, whether it was to laugh, cry, celebrate, or lift me up when I was down. You believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself. When I was an awkward preteen you would do my hair for me sometimes (because heaven knows I needed help), tell me how my outfit honestly looked, and always gave me the pep talk I needed to feel confident. One day when I was feeling particularly unpretty when we were out running errands, you put my hair up for me, and loaned me your favorite lipgloss. Just like that, everything was better, because my big sister had saved the day once again. When I was thirteen you always seemed so much older and cooler than me. I know that I was most definitely an annoying little sister, but I thought the world of you, and I wanted to be just like you. You always seemed to know what to do, and you pulled it all off with a pink ribbon in your hair and a smile on your face.
 
We're a lot older now, and our relationship has definitely grown and changed over the years, but you still mean the world to me. Remember when I went to Costa Rica at the beginning of this summer? I didn't feel homesick at all, until we got ten minutes of cell phone reception. I immediately called you, and the second I heard your voice I started tearing up. As soon as we touched back down in the States you were the first person I texted, because I couldn't wait to share every single little detail with you.
When you moved out this summer I really realized how much you meant to me. For the first week I went down to your room multiple times a day, wanting to talk with you, only to realize you weren't there. Our phone chats, long text messages, and hang outs were so much fun, but I realized that no matter how crazy you drive me sometimes, I wanted you to be right there 24/7, because you are my best friend in the entire world.
 
I'm so blessed that God gave me a big sister. In reality, I got so much more than that. I got a life long friend, confidante, therapist, and someday, a maid of honor. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for you. You paved the path for me, and gave me someone to look up to as a little girl. You've been my best friend since the beginning, and you'll be my best friend until the end.
 
Now is a time in our life when we often talk about our future. I may not know who I will be in four years, who I'm going to marry, or what the heck I'm going to do with my life, but I do know that we will be there for each other when we graduate college, when we get married, and when we have our first babies. I've never told you this, but you've always been my rock.
 
Love you to the moon and back,
 
your little sister,
 
emalee
 
 

1 comment: