Saturday, February 21, 2015

Like A Girl- You Are Beautiful



Was inspired to write this post by the Like a Girl campaign, and the 20 beautiful women tag. I love how they celebrate feminity, uniqueness, and what makes you, you!

Hi, my name's Em. You pass me on the streets and you see a short, blonde girl, probably dressed in skinny jeans, booties, and a sweater. If you don't know me, I can be really shy. If you do know me, then you'll probably use the one word that everyone uses to describe me, "sweet". But I'm so much more than that.

I live for adrenaline pumping, intense action movies. Zombies, car chases, fight scenes, I love it all!

I can't sing or dance, but I accept that. I'm considerate enough of others to not do either in public (you can thank me now), but you can bet that I always, always sing along to the radio, and have had some really good dance parties in my bedroom.

I love cats! Like really, really love them. I know its dorky, and may just sound like an Instagram cliche, but I genuinely adore animals. (do you really think I'd work at a boarding kennel if I didn't?!)

Working out is my form of sanity. On the craziest of days, I love to blast a good Pandora station (proably Ellie Goulding or Hunter Hayes) and run until I can't breathe. Running a 5k is on this years goal list.

I love hot showers. Like so hot, the water almost burns you. And then I wonder why my skin is dry...

Writing makes me happy. Every area of my life is littered with post-it-notes, to do lists, and random scraps of paper. I own about a billion notebooks (all specified for different things), and have been keeping a journal since I was six.

Cooking is one of my things. I find something about it so methodical and relaxing. My mama raised me right, and taught me that the way to everyone's heart is through their stomach. :) Make a great meal, and people will remember you.

I love shopping, getting all dressed up, doing makeup, Instagram, high heels, Starbucks, and Target. So sometimes I feel really girly. But here's the thing. I live in the country, prefer to go barefoot, I don't care if I get dirty, I work at a boarding kennel where it's a lot of cleaning, heavy lifting, and multitasking. When I'm there I don't care if I get dog food or vomit or poop on me. I love scary movies and have never truly been scared by one. (still waiting for that moment) I don't mind getting sweaty, I love a good workout, and fun fact- I practiced mixed martial arts in junior high. I do all of this and I think, "not so girly". So I guess you could say I'm somewhere in the middle.

These are just a few of the things that make me, me.

Everyday we're surrounded by people. So many people. We make judgement calls off of appearances, observations, and first impressions. But let's remember that everyone has a story. Everyone has thoughts, experiences, and feelings, deeper than you can imagine. I'd hate to think of what people think of me if they just saw me at work, or passed me in the halls at school. The point is, as girl's we can be so critical, so quick to judge or think, when we don't even know the person. Take the time to get to know the real people.

xoxo, em

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, LOVE this post!
    So inspirational :)
    Do you have any tips on how to get a flat stomach?

    ReplyDelete