Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Spread The Love- To Your Family



Hey there! I am so excited to be starting off this new series of mine! :) As most of you know, I announced my new series #SpreadTheLove, in a post last week.

One of the biggest lessons we can learn when it comes to loving well, is how to love our family. I know, I know, we do love them, but sometimes they just drive us crazy!

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

How to love your family well-

PRAY. Pray for each one of them. Pray for their needs, things they are struggling with, and your relationships with them. Pray that the Lord will give you patience with them and show you how to love each one of them.

TALK. Those lines of communication have to be open! For me this means showing my love through words. Asking simple things, "How was your day?"or, "How are you really?" You could ask how you could pray for them. Take the time to have good, quality conversations with your family. This means putting the phone down, turning off the tv, or whatever is distracting you, and really talking!

LISTEN. Sometimes all people need is to know that someone cares about them. You can love well, by listening well.

ACTIONS. Love your family through your actions. Cook dinner. Wash all the dishes. Leave sweet notes. Send encouraging texts or Bible verses of the day. Play with your little siblings. Help a sibling with homework.

Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest impact. I'm thankful for each and every day, because honestly, we never know when it will be our last. That's why I make it a point to always say, "I love you! Good night." to all of my family members. Sometimes it's what we can't say with our words. There's nothing like giving my Mom a good hug. :) Sometimes we have to show that we care. My little brother always appreciates a homemade snack or someone to play checkers with. As life gets busier, it gets harder and harder for me to make time for things like that, but I do it when I can, because I know how much it means to him. I actually just stopped writing this a few minutes ago, so that we could play a game of battleship!

This winter break has reminded me just how much I love my funny, predictable, sweet family. Yes, there are times they frustrate me, but at the end of the day they are MY family, and I couldn't love them more. I'm a senior in high school, and before long life will be getting busy for me, at some point I'll move out on my own, and hopefully someday, I'll have a little family of my own. My point is, while I will always have my family, this is certainly a time to cherish.

xoxo, em

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is really nice encouragement, as I also get easily frustrated with my siblings. It's hard to treat and love them the way that Christ does!
    Love your blog!
    -Lauren <3
    lovingourcreator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete