Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How to Grow Long, Healthy Hair



As someone who's had long hair for most of her life, I thought it was high time I shared my tips & tricks all in one post. So here we go-

#1 If you want healthy, soft hair you've got to stop frying it with high heat! I never ever blow dry my hair, and instead let it air dry. I will admit that I love curling irons, but I don't use flat irons or curling irons on my hair more than three times a week.

#2 Use the best in products. This does not mean that you have to spend a fortune on hair styling products! However, keep in mind that most of your drugstore products are cheap because they have high levels of alcohol in them, which will dry your hair out and make it crunchy. (Yuck!)

#3 Always use conditioner on your hair! To get the best results, allow it to sit for a few minutes before washing it out.

#4 Now some people may not agree with me on this one, but I'm just saying this because this is what worked for me. My hair grows incredibly fast and is quite healthy. Because I was growing it out, I didn't go in very often to get it trimmed. My longest point in between hair trims was six months, but normally I get it trimmed every three months or so.

#5 I am always, always being complimented on how soft my hair is, and now I'm going to share my best kept secret with you. Dove Daily Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner. Yep, its a drugstore product and a huge bottle is only five dollars!! I used the shampoo for a number of years before switching. I now alternate between a bumble and bumble shampoo and a prescription shampoo. I've used the conditioner all through junior high and high school, which is insane. I still love it as much now as I did when I was thirteen!

#6 A few of my other favorite products include-
Bumble & Bumble crème de coco masque- This stuff will make your hair feel so rich and soft! I only use it once or twice a week, but when I do it's a real treat!
Bumble & Bumble hairdressers invisible oil- I just got a sample of this, and let me tell you, this is magic in a bottle! It reduces frizz, strengthens hair against breakage, tames flyaways, makes hair incredibly soft, and leaves a subtle shine. I can't wait to buy a full sized bottle of this stuff!
Bumble & Bumble Tonic Lotion- If I use anything on my damp hair, this is it. This tonic lotion smells delicious, detangles, and is moisturizing too.
If you can't tell, I love Bumble & Bumble and have tried a vast majority of their products!

#7 To help avoid breakage I have two tips- one is to use a wet brush. I bought mine at Beauty Brands and now I wouldn't dream of using a normal hair brush! The other tip is give up the elastics and tight ponytail holders, and start using ribbon ponytail holders like these. You can find them at a number of places these days. I've bought mine at different local boutiques. Beware that not all ribbon ponytail holders are made the same though! Some chain companies have made cheaper dupes with stiffer material that doesn't have as much give and can still pull your hair. Look for the higher quality, softer ones!

I hope you all enjoyed hearing some of my tips for growing long hair!

xoxo, emalee

1 comment: