Sunday, June 15, 2014

Never Grow Up



Sometimes kids say the simplest, bluntest things that make us stop and think. They have an innocence and naivety about them that makes the truths they say, beautiful. Tonight my younger brother, Sam asked me to go down the slide with him. Without giving it much thought I laughed and said, "Hon, I'm much too old to do that". He gave me a funny look and said, "But who cares?" I'm not sure why this moment stands out to me, but it was like a light bulb went off in my head. He's right! Who really cares? We're out here by ourselves. No one is watching, and yet I'm so concerned with acting my age that I won't give him the delight of going down the slide with him? How ridiculous is that?

Even as a little girl I was always looking to the future. I couldn't wait to be sixteen, eighteen, twenty one. I couldn't wait to graduate, live on my own, and get married. I was quick to say goodbye to my childhood years. I was eager for high school, to start driving, and to get a job. My personal style reflects all of this. I'm usually overdressed, and I love skinny jeans, blazers, heels, and lipstick. I'm always the "mature & polished one" in my group of friends. While there's nothing wrong with any of these things, I've come to some realizations recently.

Last night I was watching "16 Wishes". It's a somewhat-dorky Disney Channel movie about a 16-year-old girl on her birthday who meets a fairy that grants her 16 wishes. Towards the end of her list of wishes, she wishes "to be treated like an adult". This wish backfires though, and she magically becomes twenty one. She missed prom, her sweet sixteen party, and graduation. She suddenly finds herself all alone in an apartment, wearing heels and a blazer. Later on she drops by one of her classmates sweet sixteen birthday party and sadly watches all of her friends that don't remember her. She looks longingly at the group of high school girls as they laugh over silly text messages, reapply lipgloss, and goof around on the dance floor. With a pang, she realizes how much she has missed out on, and how she will never get that back. Now she is an adult, with responsibilities, and she can never get her carefree high school years back. Of course, in the end of the movie she gets a second chance and becomes sixteen again.

All of this made me realize how important every day is. This served as a wake up call to me. I'm no longer sixteen. True, I'm only seventeen, but my high school years are almost over. Soon I'll be graduating and heading off to college. The point is, is that I want to seize more opportunities, laugh more, and goof off. I will never get this time in my life back. You're only young once, so why not live like you're young?

To get back to the story..
After looking at my brother for a moment I smiled and said, "You're right. I would love to slide with you!" Without saying anything we somehow made the evening an all out "childhood games night". We went down the slide together, pushed each other on the swings, played fetch with out puppy, shot hoops, and played a mean game of hopscotch. I also discovered that I'm actually pretty good at hoola hoop!

I had a fun, nostalgic evening where I forgot how old I was, and had an amazing time.

Don't put yourself into a box, tell yourself you're too old, or worry about "being the mature person". Don't forget to take the time every now and then to relax and just enjoy life.

xoxo, em

4 comments:

  1. Your posts are so thought provoking! I love the simplicity of your writing. I am just like you. I always wanted to be older, I talked with adults more than kids, and I could not wait to drive. But I'm learning to slow down and enjoy life as well. Thank you for the reminder. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your writing is truly beautiful ! To be honest I am the complete opposite ! I don't want to grow up and I get on better with children. I am a kid at heart and always will be !
    Eb x
    Thefearlessfox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well written! Your posts are so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Em!!! It really made me think. Extremely inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete