Saturday, December 14, 2013

An Old Fashioned Christmas

 



This is what I want this holiday season- an old fashioned Christmas. I've really gotten into the spirit this year. I'm not sure what changed in me. Maybe it was all of the Hallmark movies, or just the desire for the Christmas's I had as a little girl. See, the thing is, when I believed in Santa Claus Christmas's held a certain kind of magic. You know what I mean. Suddenly, I found myself wanting that again. And so...
Here's the thing- I started believing again. I don't care if it's childish or silly or unrealistic. I believe. And once again, the holidays hold that special magic.



I love the holiday magic. That feeling that anything can happen. I love all of our family traditions. The ones that are uniquely ours. Like when we get all bundled up and go over to Home Depot to pick out our tree. I broke out skipping in the parking lot, just because. We brought our tree home and then the next night we turned Pandora to the Christmas station and decorated our tree.
I love the decorations. My mini Christmas tree with the red, green, and gold glitter balls and shimmery white snowflakes. The red and white tree skirt covered in Christmas presents for friends and family. A red velvet pillow for my chair, a mini snow globe on a shelf, lots of paper snowflakes, and a glittery white Christmas tree.
Making cranberry and popcorn garlands with friends while watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". It doesn't get much better than that.
Our town's Old Fashioned Christmas Parade. Complete with little ponies pulling old ladies in sleighs. Huge Clydesdales tugging wooden wagons with families. Santa Claus, as the grand finale. Every year we have a family breakfast at one of the best local restaurants and then we window shop until the parade starts. My sissy and I picked up Starbucks and shopped at Urban Oufitters in the hour leading up to it. I love spending time with her. It was freezing outside, just seven degrees, but we huddled in the back of our vehicle and watched the parade.
Christmas lights. Driving through your neighborhood after everyone has put their lights up, and marveling at how very different it looks. The elegant white lights. The blow up Santa Claus. The multi color lights, blanketing bushes.
The colors. The outfits. The deep cranberry lipsticks. The party dresses in emerald and gold. The high heels, and furs, and wool coats. The chestnut colored riding boots. I love the style and the class of holiday parties and snow days and Christmas shopping.

I love Christmas. I really do. It's a time to celebrate and enjoy the magic of the year. It's a time to dream, and to dream big. It's a time to rejoice with family and friends.

With all of that said though, I'm not forgetting the real reason for the season. Take a minute to watch this video. It serves as such a sweet reminder. I encourage you to watch the Nativity Story, or better yet to go to a live nativity! Nothing gets you in the spirit like that! I encourage you to find the joy in the gift of giving. Be festive, be joyful. Sing Christmas carols at the tops of your lungs, read the story of Jesus's birth, write Santa a letter just because, and frolic in the snow like you're five years old.

Happy Holidays lovelies!

xoxo, em

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderfully written post. Merry Christmas! =) <3

    ReplyDelete