Monday, November 11, 2013

How to Avoid the Flu

Hello lovelies!
It's official. Cold + flu season has arrived. It's no secret that  I have a small phobia against the stomach flu. I haven't had it since I was six and it absolutely terrifies me!
I am very fortunate in the fact that I never catch anything. Other than getting one or two colds a year, I'm always well. I can count on my fingers the times in my life that I've had something besides the common cold.

How to not catch those nasty bugs:

Build up that immune system! Your immune system is responsible for keeping you healthy, so doesn't it make sense that we have to take care of it? This means-

*Getting enough sleep. At least eight hours of sleep a night.

*Drinking tons of water. Cut out all other beverage alternatives. No energy drinks or soda! No way! Coffee in moderation is fine. Tea is also okay, because it can have some amazing benefits!

*Vitamins. Y'all probably know that I don't swallow pills. I know, I know, it's time for me to suck it up and just take them, but that's one hurdle I still haven't overcome. Vitamin C is my essential and I take it faithfully every. single. day.

*Eating healthy! Obviously, this should be a no brainer. If you feed yourself junk, you're more likely to catch junk. End of story.


Other ways to stay well-

Wash your hands all day every day! And no half way hand washing either! I'm talking full out hand scrubbing with hot water for at least twenty seconds.

Use Ayr 2-3x a day. Okay, let's get into the nitty gritty of it for a minute. Germs love dry places. If your nasal passage is dry germs are more likely to come into it and hang out there- thus infecting you with all of their loveliness. If your nasal passage is continually moisturized, then it's buh-bye germs!

Beware of public restrooms! Personally, I avoid them like the plague. However, for the majority of the population, that can't be helped. You encounter them at high school, college, and work. I'll be honest with y'all. I have this strange talent of being able to go into a public restroom and not touch anything. I know, it's weird, but I'm proud of it. Here's how to do it-
Use your feet or back to push open the door. You will most likely have to touch the lock on your stall door. (That's the only part that can't be helped) You can always use a piece of toilet paper to lock it though. Use one of your feet to flush the toilet. At the sink, we'll just hope that everything is instant. (no touching required) If it is, then you're good to go. If it's not then go ahead and get your soap, turn on the sink, and wash your hands. When you're done do not turn off the sink. Get a paper towel, dry your hands, and then turn it off using the paper towel.


And there ya have it- don't be a victim of the flu this year!

xoxo, em


1 comment:

  1. Great tips! Oh yes, I hate public restrooms, and I too have developed methods by which I touch very little! Haha, love it! Ugh yes, I hope I don't get the flu, probably should get a flu shot...*shudders* I hate shots. :P
    Christina

    ReplyDelete