Friday, October 25, 2013

2 Year Blogoversary + Blogging Tips

As I'm writing this, it's hard to believe that two years ago today I sat down at my computer and hit publish. Two years ago seems so long ago. Two years ago I had no idea the impact that this blog would have on my life.  Two years later I'm not the person I thought I would be.

Here's the thing- I still don't call myself a "writer" or a "blogger". I'm not sure why. Maybe I still don't feel worthy of that title. I never tell people about my blog. Maybe it's because I don't like the reaction that I get. Either people's eyes immediately glaze over and they say, "Uh-huh." or people ask you the same questions that a blogger has heard a million times, "What things do you write about?" or, "How many followers do you have?"



Here's a few things that I've learned over the past two years-

Don't play the "follower game". Yep, you know what I'm talking about. I know personally, how easy it is to get caught up in comparing blogs or obsessing over the number of followers you have. Just don't do it. Don't let comparison steal your joy. Once I stopped worrying about it, blogging became so much more enjoyable for me.

Post regularly. In the blogging world you will often here the saying "quality over quantity". It's true that you shouldn't just "blog to blog", but you also need to stay somewhat consistent. I try to blog twice a week. It's do able for me, but not crazy, which is how I like it. I believe it's all about balance. Don't blog every single day, or else people might get a little tired of you. Give your followers time to miss you! On the other the hand though, don't become one of those random bloggers that only posts a few times a month. With all that said, take a break every now and then though. You deserve it. Being away from the blogging world can be good for you as well as give you time to relax, find new inspiration, and think about any new directions you want to take with your blog.

Find your niche. When I first started blogging I had absolutely no idea what I should write about. It took me some time, and even today I'm still experimenting. Here's my advice to you- Never be afraid to try new things when it comes to blogging. Don't shove yourself into one category and tell yourself you have to stay there. I've tried writing about fashion, recipes, fitness, makeup, photography, and just plain life, and I've enjoyed every one of them.

Write from the heart. This simple piece of advice is by far the best blogging tip I've ever received. It took me time to truly understand this, but when I did, it forever changed the way I blogged. Let me break it down for you. Blogging should never ever be a chore or something you feel like you have to do just because your followers are waiting for you. What you write should be what you love. It should come straight from the heart.

Planning, list making, and scheduling. Luckily for me I'm a very organized person, and that has helped me tremendously when it comes to blogging. While I'm not on any sort of strict schedule, I do like to plan some of my posts in advance. I like to make huge brainstorm lists every now and then filled with all sorts of blog post ideas. Then I will organize them by season and write them into a monthly section on my planner. When that month rolls around I already have a handful of post ideas ready!

Seeking inspiration. One of the most important things when it comes to blogging regularly. How do you come up with post ideas? How do you stay motivated? While I encourage you to truly be yourself when it comes to blogging, there is nothing wrong with seeking out some inspiration. I find inspiration on some of my favorite blogs, Pinterest, and Youtube channels.

And lastly, let me say this- Don't be a follower, be a leader. Pave your own path. Break outside the mold. Be whoever you want to be.

It's a beautiful Friday, dear followers, and I'm off to spend my Friday night with family. Working out, eating pizza, cuddling with my kitties, and watching movies.
Thank you for following me on this journey these last two years. I can't say where I'll be two years from now, but I do know that wherever I go in life, I will always write. Blogging has become a part of me, and it's something I will never give up.

xoxo, em (your authoress)

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I love your blog, and your tips are great!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! These tips are great, I just recently started my blog again and these tips helped a ton!

    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you all ladies! So happy they helped! Thanks for following!
    xoxo, em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! My name's Skyler and I'm new to the blogging world! It would mean allot if you checked me out!
    imgonnawriteaboutit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete