Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Moments of Lately

I. I didn't pay enough attention to the beets and let them burn, filling the house with a slightly homey, earthy smell. Company's coming, so that just won't do though. I go to Mom's candle cabinet and stare at it in awe. It's no small secret that next to antiques my Mom's favorite thing is candles. And boy does she have a lot of them! I realize with surprise that I've never actually picked out a candle from her cabinet to burn. We always have one burning, so I never really thought about it. I smile with delight and peruse my options. I go right to the fall scents. Homey smells of apples and pumpkins and spices. I spy one of my favorites, Pumpkin Caramel Latte and clasp it in both of my hands. I light all three wicks and sniff the air as the smell of autumn swirls up to meet me.

 


 

II. School is here. I'm on my second week of school and I'm already in the thick of it. I knew junior year would be different. They say it's your hardest year of high school... but I don't know if anything could have prepared me for this. Pre-calculus is my new enemy. "How to Read a Book" can instantly put me to sleep. And thankfully my first college class is going really, really well! I love the satisfaction that comes from getting all of your homework done!




III. A few days ago I felt the sudden need for change, so I put my hair in two braids. Groundbreaking, I know. You have to understand though, that I haven't worn my hair in two braids since.... well probably not since I was 13 or so! I never liked the look on me. I always thought it made me look like a baby. When I did it this time though, it looked different. Maybe it's that I've grown up, or maybe it's that my hair is so long. I couldn't believe how far the braids fell down my back! It seems like a lifetime ago, but it actually was just last April that I cut my hair to right above my shoulders. It grew over eight inches in one year and is now well on it's way to hitting my waist. (goal!)

IV. Work. I love it, I really do. Spending my time with kitties and doggies is what I love best.

V. Devotions. Bible time. Worship music. I've felt myself changing.. and it's showing in every aspect of my life. I had always wanted to be someone that read my Bible everyday and that listened attentively to every sermon, but try as I might it just didn't happen. Then one evening I had this sudden urge to read God's word. So I did. It was amazing. I took notes and enjoyed it so much that I couldn't wait for the next night, and the next night, and the next night. For the first time I felt what it was like to actually thirst for God's word. I started two new devotions that have started changing my way of thinking. I found that after starting my day off right with Bible time I was happier, slower to anger, and more patient.

VI. Fall shopping online. Skinny jeans and sweaters, two of my favorite things. I'm currently obsessed with cranberry colored anything for the fall & winter!





VII. Early morning workouts. Smoothies. Hitting a walking trail with the sissy.

VIII. Gluten-free, milk-free, peanut-free. Yep, I'm allergic to all of those things. I've had allergies since I was a little girl and they come and go. Now it's time to go back to my diet though because my allergies have been causing me way too many problems and making me feel really sick. I've been  slowly incorporating this new diet over the past month and I'm already feeling so, so good. Success!

with love,
em

No comments:

Post a Comment