Saturday, July 13, 2013

Selena Gomez Inspired Makeup Tutorial

Hello lovelies,
A while back I did a Lauren Conrad Inspired Hair & Makeup Tutorial and had so much fun with it, that I decided to do another celebrity inspired tutorial. Selena Gomez is my all time favorite celebrity and I had always wanted to try one of her makeup looks out, so I thought, "Why not?"

*Speaking of Selena, she just launched her clothing line for adidas! You can check it out here.  I am in love with her polyurethane jacket and her black leggings!

I pulled inspiration from several different pictures of Selena. This year Selena has been stepping up her game in every aspect and her makeup is no different. For daytime Selena still goes very natural with mainly just some eyeliner, mascara, and bronzer. At the awards shows though she has been showing off nude or bold lips with her signature eye look that includes smudged eyeliner and winged out, smoky, eyeshadow. All-around, it makes her look fierce and stunning. I decided to incorporate as many aspects as I could without looking over the top. I wasn't for sure how it would turn out since I'm much paler than she is...


Products Used:
Revlon Photoready BB cream in light
Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in Translucent
MAC Select Cover Up concealer in NC15
Covergirl Stick concealer in fair clair
Elf blush in Twinkle Pink
Maybelline Fit Me bronzer in light
NYX jumbo eye pencil in cottage cheese
Elf eyeshadow palette in natural
Rimmel kohl pencil in panama
Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes mascara in washable
Maybelline Color Whisper in lust for blush


Go ahead and do your normal foundation/concealer routine to start off with. Selena always has beautiful, flawless skin so I added a little more coverage than usual, while still trying to make it look light and natural.
Selena usually doesn't wear much blush, so keep it natural. I went for a beautiful pink color with peach undertones and gold flecks in it. Apply lightly to the apples of your cheeks.


 
Next apply bronzer in all of the places where the sun would hit your face. For me that was the sides of my nose, along my hairline, and then of course I made a fishy face and applied it under my cheekbones.

Now we're onto the eyes! Starting off I applied my shimmery, white jumbo stick to my brow bone, the inner corners of my eyes, and all over my lids.


Before applying eyeshadow I took two pieces of tape and slanted them up to roughly meet the edge of my eyebrow. I had seen this trick on youtube and did it so that I could achieve Selena's signature winged out look.
Next up I went back with my bronzer and an eyeshadow brush and applied it the crease of my eye.
I then selected a smoky, purple and applied it in the crease of my eye.



Lastly I took a deep brown with flecks of gold in it and applied it in the crease of my eye as well.



 
Next up I took my dark brown, kohl eyeliner and lined the upper and lower lids of my eyes and then winged it out. This part doesn't have to be perfect. Selena's eyeliner is always smudged around her eye to add a mysterious effect. Remove the tape at this point and run your finger over your eyelid to help blend the colors and so that the line isn't quite so severe. Next I selected a deep, smoky, gray eyeshadow (you can choose whatever color you want) and ran it over my eyeliner. This adds to the smoky look and makes your wings look amazing! It also helps your eyeliner to stay on longer.
 

Since the eyes are so dramatic I didn't want my eyebrows to look washed out, so I filled mine in using a color from my elf palette.

Now apply two coats of your favorite mascara.

Selena has done so many different lip looks that I wasn't sure what color to choose! Since my eyes were so dramatic I decided against any bold or deep color because it would have completely overpowered me. Instead I went for a very natural, pink shade that was just slightly darker than my normal lip color.



The finished look:


 
In the end: I had so much fun putting together this look! It was really interesting to try something so different for me. Although it might not look like it in the pictures, my eyes actually looked really dramatic and it was a bit much even for me. Of course, this is a look that Selena would wear on the red carpet, not in her day-to-day life. I enjoyed trying it out though!
 

Do you have any requests? If so, feel free to comment below or shoot me an email at accordingtoemalee@gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

with love,
emalee

 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love your blog! :)

    ~Michlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh. i love it. i've definitely gotta try something like this soon.
    the last picture is totally adorbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much for your sweet comment Marcia! :)

      Delete
  3. You look stunning! Now if only I had your talent... Whenever I try new makeup looks I seem to end up looking more like a clown than the celebrity I was aming for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aww, you're so sweet Kryn! Believe me, I've had my share of hilarious makeup mistakes before! :) Some that I'd rather not mention...
      xoxo, em

      Delete