Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Surviving the ACT {Hair, Makeup, & Outfit}

This past Saturday I took my first ACT, so I decided to put together a little post on my hair, makeup, and outfit of the day as well as some tips for getting through it.


*When it comes to studying, find what works best for you. It varies depending on the person. All through the month of April I used a computer program called Higher Score on the ACT, took a few practice tests, and took lots of notes. The week leading up to the ACT I studied when I had a chance at camp along with another girl that was taking the ACT. I found that I really enjoyed having a study buddy because it motivated me to study for longer. (even though I was really tired) One of the days we played classical music on her laptop, which I really enjoyed as well.

*Breakfast! Before the ACT make healthy choices with a fair amount of protein for breakfast. I had oatmeal with bananas and peanut butter for breakfast and it kept me full until noon.


*Get enough sleep! This is absolutely crucial! Unfortunately I had just returned from summer camp the day before where I averaged about five hours of sleep a night. Needless to say I was really tired at the ACT. Make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep the night before.



 


I decided to keep my outfit low key and comfy. When you're sitting in a desk for four straight hours, the most important thing is comfort! Take into mind the weather as well, because you certainly don't want to be too hot or too cold!

Outfit: PINK Foldover Yoga Crop Leggings
            Minnie Mouse Graphic Tee (Forever 21, unavailable)
            Womens Nike Free 4.0 V2 in Purple Lime (not shown)


*For my hair I let it go completely natural. The night before I applied Bumble + Bumble Curl Concious Holding Foam to my damp hair and scrunched it through. I let it air dry and in the morning all I had to do was spritz my Bumble + Bumble Surf Spray allover my hair and pin two pieces back with a few bobby pins.

*I wanted my makeup to be quick & simple. The whole point was to make me look more awake without doing my full makeup routine.

Makeup I used: Revlon Photoready BB cream in light
                          Rimmel London Matte Powder in transperant
                          Covergirl concealer
                          Maybelline Bouncy Blush in fresh pink
                          Revlon Photoready: Primer, Sparkle, & Shadow
                          Maybelline Line Express Eyeliner in brownish black
                          Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes- Washable
                          Elf eyeshadow to fill in brows
                          Maybelline Babylips in Pink Punch

I kept my skin natural, but brightened it. The bright pink blush and babylips were perfect because pink always makes you look more awake. When you want to keep your makeup minimal, but still look good, opt for a bright pink lip. Pink brightens your face and distracts people from any blemishes, etc. Adding a pearly white or gold color in the inner corners of your eyes is one of the best secrets to looking awake and making your eyes brighter.

* Since my Dad was driving me to the ACT I took that time to listen to music on my ipod and review all of my notes. It was a nice way to stay relaxed and review.

*Get there fifteen minutes ahead of time. There's no need to be there 30 minutes early, but don't rush yourself to the last minute. Have your ticket and photo id in hand so that you're prepared.

*Relax!! Before the test starts think about your strategy and take a few deep breaths.

*Take the ten minute break to get up and stretch your legs. Find the bathroom and get a drink if needed and then wait with the other students until its time to start again. (There's no need to sit in at your desk. Remember, this is your only break!)



All in all, I think my first ACT went really well! While my mind was completely fried.. it was okay.

What are your tips?

Xoxo, em

No comments:

Post a Comment