Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Adventures of Three Southern Belles

 
Hello loves,

Friday, Feb. 8th was a whirlwind day for me. The morning was spent packing and getting ready, and going over my checklist a million and one times. I had this huge fear that I was going to forget something. I had done a bit of research on what girls wore on flights and spent some time deciding on my outfit. In the end I kept it extremely low key: American Eagle jeans, a black t shirt, my favorite plaid coat, and a cream scarf.

#Travel #Sunset #Airplane #Plane #flying #AirTravel #adventure #sun #dusk #clouds #cloud-cover #window #airplane-window #departure #aerial #view #viewfromawindow #amazing #experience #traveling #vacation #vacations #holiday #holidays #transport #transportation #airplanes #planes #sunsets
             {Source}

It's been years since I've flown (and when I did it was with my family), but luckily for me I was flying out of one of the smaller airports in the US. I couldn't help but smile at the adventure of flying by myself. I'll admit it though, I was nervous. The moment of the plane taking off definitely went down as one of the more nerve-wracking moments in my life. I know, I know, people fly everyday, but I'm afraid of heights and couldn't help but think of every little thing that could go wrong. I had decided right off the bat that I was not going to stress about anything though. So I simply said a prayer, took a deep breath, and leaned back in my seat. The flight went by relatively quickly because I had been smart and brought along magazines. Those two, glossy covered magazines had been laying in my room for over a week and I couldn't have been more eager to read them.
Soon enough we were descending and I found myself setting foot in Nashville, TN. I promptly stepped off the flight and found myself greeted by one of Johnny Cash's more popular songs playing in one of the nearby restaurants. How fitting. Unfortunately within the first five seconds of walking off my plane I found myself lost in the Nashville airport. It made me realize just how small my airport had been. I found my way out though and quickly spotted Brie waiting for me. Seeing her after five months was one of the best moments of my life.






What do best friends do when they finally see each other again? Take lots of crazy pictures of course!


#wildchild Haha, I felt like such a hippie in this outfit!
 
Brie lives in a city right on the outskirts of Nashville called Franklin. I think I officially fell in love with Franklin on my first full day there. Everything about it was charming and picturesque. I couldn't get over how nice and friendly everybody was in the south! I finally know the true definition of "southern hospitality & charm". I'm not going to go into detail about everything that happened in Franklin because I don't want this to sound like a "brag-session" (that would never be my intention, its just that I personally love to hear about other people's trips, so I thought I would share a bit of mine with y'all). Our days were often spent walking a lot, eating delicious food, playing tennis or having a dance party, shopping, exploring the downtown, and often finished off with something like "The Dark Knight Rises" or the much beloved "Downton Abbey".



Tiana asked us what face we would make if Batman suddenly walked into the room:


If you ever get the chance to visit Franklin then there are a few places I have to recommend. I visited so many sweet shops and out of this world restaurants. Below is a compiled list of shops and restaurants that were some of my favorites.

Merridee's   I loved this place because of its charming and homey atmosphere. If you only have one chance to see Franklin then I would recommend going here. The food is very homestyle, but utterly delicious!




The Mellow Mushroom  This is actually a chain, but that doesn't matter, because they have the best pizza I have ever tasted! We had a pesto pizza with chicken and all that I can say is "Oh, yum!"

Sweet Cece's  I believe this might be a chain too, but I'm not for sure. It seems these days that there are a million and one frozen yogurt places to choose from. So what made this one stand out above the rest? A lot actually! First off it is decorated so, so adorably! Full of pink and very cheery colors, complete with the cutest little tables. Second I loved that the majority of their flavors were so different than everywhere else! My favorite flavor we tried was the peach because it tasted so fresh!

 
 



 
 

The Coffee House at Second and Bridge   Yum. Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about this place! Their crepes are out-of-this-world-good! This place was charming and not at all busy when we went. Definitely get some tea if you go there! For only $2-ish dollars you get the tea of your choice (I ordered chai) They really take it a step above other restaurants. My tea was served on a little platter with a small teapot, cup, two gingersnaps, and a little pot of cream. Not only was the tea delicious, but I couldn't get over the cute little set-up of it all! They are especially well known for their extensive crepe menu. Their strawberry and nutella crepes are to die for!



Philanthropy  This gorgeous little boutique is nestled right in the heart of downtown Franklin. It is a Christian owned, local business that has at least 10% of their total sales go straight to charities. While their clothes and accessories are on the more pricey end, everything is of excellent quality and is very beautiful.


Coffee at the Frothy Monkey!

 
Getting ready to head off to church: (We left the nerd glasses at home)



*I borrowed the tank and scarf from Brie, so I'm not sure where they were from.
Sweater//Forever 21
Skinnies//Gap
 
I'm so blessed that God has brought Brie and Tiana into my life. My time in Franklin was wonderful and everything I needed right now. I love how the Lord places people in our lives to walk with us on this journey and encourage us in our faith.
Tiana (left) seriously needs to win an award for "best little sister"! She has such a servants heart and was always eager to help us, whether it was cleaning up the kitchen or holding clothes for us in the dressing rooms. She is such a sweetheart and can always make me laugh.

On my last evening there we were feeling adventurous, so we walked down the street to CVS and picked up a box of "Splat Washables" temporary hair dye in a lovely shade of fire engine red. Thanks to Brie's meticulous eye our streaks turned out fantastic! I can't wait for her to become a hairstylist! She has such a talent for all things hair and is going to make the best hairstylist ever!


 
 
 
 
#Rebels! :)

It was a sad farewell when I said goodbye to Brie in the Nashville airport last Wednesday. Being with her for six days and then having to say goodbye again was difficult. I feel so blessed that I was able to visit her though and will never forget my time in Franklin.


And now for a little flashback: (This photo is from a while back)

I feel so blessed by each and every friend God has placed in my life over the years. Friends that encouraged me, motivated me, gently pushed me out of my comfort zone, walked with me, and loved me for me. Recently I've been feeling especially thankful for you, my followers. Thank you for taking the time to read my posts, for leaving sweet comments, and for constantly inspiring me.
Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, have a lovely weekend and know that I'm praying for you.

xoxo, em

P.S. I always love to connect with other girls, so feel free to shoot me an email if you'd like at accordingtoemalee@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. sounds like so much fun! I have never been to Tennessee but would love to someday. I know, seeing friends who live far away is such a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun pictures! I especially love the quote on the last picture. Very true!

    If you're interested, please stop by and say hello at my blog www.projectpaperie.blogspot.com I'd love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing all the pictures and hearing about your trip!! Such a fun post to read! :)

    ReplyDelete