Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Sugar Coated Life

Hello loves,
I just read this  post and was inspired beyond words. As a blogger I have fallen into the same old rut a million times. You know which one I'm talking about. The "Why does everybody else seem to have it together except for me" or "Why can't my life be like that" or "She never has bad days, her life is perfect". Nobodies life is perfect, but it is all too easy to make it appear like it is. On our blogs we can write whatever we want. We don't have to tell people the real story. It's all to easy to tell people about all of the amazing things that are happening in your life, all of the highlights and none of the behind-the-scenes. I like to call it "sugar coating". I admit, I'm guilty of doing it too sometimes.

True!

When I first read this quote on Pinterest I paused and re-read it a few times. I had never thought of it this way before but that is exactly what girls do. We struggle with so many insecurities because when we compare ourselves to someones highlights reel it feels impossible to measure up. We all have flaws and insecurities, some people are just good at covering there's up. I do hope that here on my blog I have never appeared to be a major sugar coater. I have always strived to be honest with y'all, but it isn't always easy. I think that just coming out with your flaws//insecurities, like Carlotta did, is a beautiful thing. It may be one of the hardest things you ever do... but it will be worth it.

I want to be real with you all, because if I can't be real here, on my blog, then where can I be real at?

I have bad days just like every other girl. I fight with my siblings over silly things. I cry way too easily and despise crying in front of other people. Growing up I was painfully shy and had trouble making friends. For me it's all too easy to become invisible in a large group of girls. I've come a long way since my days of shyness and insecurities, but I still have days where I want to "hide behind my shyness" again. I struggled with low self confidence for years and I can tell you honestly that it isn't easy to build it back up. It may surprise people, but I do struggle with my self image. This is one of the hardest things for me to admit, because I work hard to cover it up, but I've had blackheads on my nose for years and no matter what I do they won't go away. I can't sing to save my life. I have days with pimples, overwhelming amounts of school, sadness, loneliness, "I look so ugly", a few tears, and so on. I have bad days, crazy days, downright awful days. My life isn't perfect, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

reminder

I love you. You're beautiful. Even though I don't know you I'm praying for you. I hope today was an imperfectly perfect day. And remember, never sugar coat your life honey, because honestly I think your behind-the-scenes is a heck of a lot more interesting than your highlights reel!

Much love,
Em

3 comments:

  1. wow! that was very inspiring!! that quote is very powerful. thanks for your sweet words:) your are beautiful!!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that made my day a little brighter. Thank you for your words, your story and the quote. You're right we all struggle with this sometimes, and we all need reminders some times. So in case you didn't know, you are loved, and you are beautiful and wonderfully and fearfully made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to see others smile, when I"m not smiling....and I guess...scratch that....I am at a very bad spot right now. And it feels like the whole world is happy but me. And it feels like I can do nothing right. This post was nice...inspirational and sweet. SO thank you, for helping me through the bad times with your awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete