Monday, May 28, 2012

One Year

I can't believe it. My precious baby turned one year old this month! I was quite nostalgic on her birthday as sweet memories of the past year swept over me. I still remember the first time I saw her. I had absolutely no idea that she was going to be mine. I was out at my grandparents farm one hot day in June when my Grandma told me they had an abandoned kitten out in their garage. I hurried out to the garage and after much looking found her hiding behind a cabinet. She was the tiniest little thing and so frightened. One look into those big green eyes and I fell in love with her. I scooped her up and carried her out to the front porch, where I sat in a vintage green rocker and rocked her to sleep. I remember how  she curled up and buried her head in the crook of my arm. :) It was absolutely the sweetest thing ever!

My first ever picture of Cali. :) This was the first time I saw her, and at the time I had no idea that she was soon to be mine.

A week later my grandparents were going on a trip and I begged my grandma to let me petsit her. I convinced her that Cali might not survive while they were gone and that she needed 24 hour care, since she was only a few weeks old. At the end of their trip they called and asked if we would like to keep Cali permanently. I was beyond thrilled! Now I finally had a pet of my own!

It's funny really, if you would have asked me two years ago about cats I would have said they were okay, a bit finnicky and shy. Never in a million years did I expect to get a cat! Cali really changed me though. Before her I wasn't a cat person in the least, and now I can't imagine my life without her. I've read just about every cat book out there and love them as much as dogs.

And now for a million pictures:










Her mouse is her favorite toy :)






Cali's parents. Sorry for the blurry picture, but I was on my Canon Point and Shoot and I had to really zoom in because I couldn't get close to them. Both of Cali's parents are wild and won't let you get within 8 ft. of them.


Anytime Cali comes in my room she thinks she HAS to be on my bed... or in my closet. I know it sounds strange, but she loves to sleep in there!



Typical.


Cali's first snow. She wasn't a fan.


One day Cali decided to crawl in between my sheets and take a nap. I saw a lump in my bed, so I lifted the quilt... and this is what I found.







*Cali LOVES to sleep on her back.

*Cali's favorite place to be petted is her stomach and her chin.

*You will never meet a cat that purrs as loud as Cali!

*She loves people food, but doesn't get it very often. Her favorites are tuna and turkey.

*She will follow you like a dog wherever you go. You go on a walk, Cali goes too.

*She is extremely curious and has to get right in the middle of whatever you're doing.

*She has an obsession with pens and pencils. I can put her in my room with a pen and she'll be content for quite some time.

*She will do anything for a cat treat. She will do "come", "sit", stand up on her hind legs, and jump on my lap all for a treat. But that's ONLY if you have food.

*She sleeps in strange places. That includes carseats, on clothes that are on the ground, on top of cars, in a potted plant, on the back of a bench, on AND in your bed, in closets, on deck railings, and under bushes.

*The vet is Cali's version of hell. Taking Cali to the vet is the most dreaded of deeds. The second we walk through the door she goes stiff. The second we walk into the room she starts to growl. The second a vet tech touches her she starts to scream. She's well known at our vet. But not in a good way. The last time we went to the vet they had to bring in the girl that handles all of the big dogs because Cali was that out of control. I was told that she clawed up two vet techs before they could get her sedated to be fixed. I always feel so, so bad for the techs and doctors that have to handle her! Haha, it can be a little embarrassing because she's never like that at home!

*Cali's scared of bubbles, any loud noises, dogs, and thunderstorms.

*She hates wind and refuses to set foot outside if it's windy.

*The other morning I woke up at five AM and heard Cali crying out in the garage. It was storming so of course she was scared and frantically meowing.

Haha, sorry for this long cat post! If you're not a fan of cats you can just skip this, but hopefully some of you enjoyed it!

Love,

Em

P.S. Jessica is almost done with my new blog design and then I will be back posting reguarly! I've been writing lots of posts that I can't wait to share with you guys!! Miss you all!!



6 comments:

  1. I love this post, aww :) I have never really had a cat, and I want one desperately. Maybe when I'm done with university. Cali is adorable, I loved reading about her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! Happy (late) birthday to one of the sweetest cats I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Cali is so cute! Nice pictures! My fave is the one of her between the wood fencing on that deck/porch. Adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday Cali! I do remember asking you if you were a cat person and you said that exact thing!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait for your posts!! :) Cali is adorable! ♥

    ♥ lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks for all of the sweet comments ladies!! :) You all really encourage me!!

    ReplyDelete