Thursday, March 1, 2012

#13 Make Scones

Hello loves,
Two days ago I finally got around to doing #13 on my list.   Make scones!

Pioneer Woman's Maple Pecan Scones


Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter, chilled
1/4 cup pecans, plus more for sprinkling if desired
1 large egg (mine was a double yolker!)
3/4 cup heavy cream ( I used a little extra)

For the icing:

1 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
4 tbs. butter, melted
splash of strongly brewed coffee
Dash of salt
2 tsp.  maple flavoring or maple extract (I just used maple syrup)



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheits.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.






Cut the cold butter into small pieces. Cut the butter into the flour...



Until the mixture resembles crumbs.

Now finely chop the pecans...



And stir them into the flour mixture.


Mix the egg and cream together. Add mixture to the bowl.


Stir together until just combined. Turn the mixture onto a cutting board. The dough will be very crumbly, but do not let your heart be troubled. With your hand, push the mixture together into a large ball. Do not knead or press too much; you want to leave that gluten alone! With a rolling pin, very gently roll the dough into a 10-inch round about 3/4 inch thick. With a sharp knife, cut the round into eight, equal size wedges. To do this, first cut an X. Followed by a +. Transfer the wedges to a baking sheet lined with a Silpat baking mat. Bake the scones for 22 to 26 minutes, until they're just barely starting to brown. Allow the scones to cool completely before icing. In a medium bowl stir the icing ingredients until smooth. Pour generously over the scones. (Sorry I didn't have any pictures for these steps! I got so wrapped up in my scones that I forgot my camera was hanging around my neck! :))


The scones turn out really big!

Oh yes. They were amazing! I will definitely remember this recipe the next time I want to make scones! They are irresistible!

Now, you don't have to follow this recipe to a T. I adjusted it a little here and there. I didn't use whole milk. My scones were not equally proportioned. And I didn't wait for them to cool. :)


Love,
Em

P.S. The weather here was gorgeous today! I was able to wear a tank top and shorts and I spent a good portion of the day outside. I think I even got a little tan. :)

22 days until the Hunger Games!!!!!










3 comments:

  1. 21 days, 5 hours, 29 minutes and 30 seconds, where I'm standing ;P
    yummy! i'll have to bookmark this and come back later.

    xoxo,
    Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make me hungary! Yes! Today was beautiful. I wish I would have worn shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica- That makes me sooooo excited!!!! I found a new trailer tonight and I just about started hyperventilating!! :)

    Madison- Yes, I'm hopeing we have many more beautiful days like this! Spring is almost here!

    ReplyDelete