Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cookies and Cali

Hello loves,
For Valentines Day I decided to make on of the many sweet recipes that I had found via Pinterest. I took my time scrolling through the rows of mouth watering pictures and finally settled on Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies. Oh my. Get ready for some intense chocolate.








Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies


Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces), divided
3 large egg whites, room temperature
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided (I used 2 cups)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1 (I halved the sugar here) cup sugar. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow creme. Whisk 1 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend. On low speed, beat dry ingredients into meringue. Stir in lukewarm chocolate and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dough will become very stiff).
Place 1/2 cup sugar in bowl. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball; roll in sugar, coating thickly. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until puffed and tops crack, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheets on rack 10 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool.

Yield: Makes about 18


These cookies are rich, decadent, chocolaty, goodness. What surprised me the most was that there was no wheat or milk in them! So they are even allergen friendly!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days ago we received our first snow. Now I'm sure most of you have had lots of snow by now, but my little section on Kansas hadn't had anything. Which was quite shocking. Anyhow I woke up on Monday morning to find myself in a winter wonderland. I was quite thrilled. Cali was not. I had forgotten that she had yet to experience snow. When I went out in the garage to give her breakfast she was just itching for me to put her cat door up so that she could go exploring. I opened the door and Cali came running at full speed and just as quickly put on the brakes. She slid right to the edge of the door and stopped with one paw in the snow which she quickly shook off with disdain. She surveyed the outdoors in amazement. What had happened to her huge playground? What was all of this white stuff?







Cali ended up walking around a bit, but she didn't venture far. It was pretty cute, because as she walked she would carefully shake each paw so as to rid herself of this strange, wet stuff.


Also, we bought our outdoor cat a bed for my room. She comes in there so much that I thought she needed a place of her own.

The question is, who is the master? I'm beginning to wonder...


Sincerely,
Em

3 comments:

  1. oh, my.... i will soon be fat, for sure. thanks so much for this wonderful recipe!

    xoxo,
    Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, Elisha, yes they are yummy! :)

    You're welcome Jessica! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete